Thursday, February 23, 2012

"Right answers"

I've mentioned before that one of the reasons I'm so interested in homeschooling is that I don't want the girls getting tied up in the concept of "right answers" which seems to drive so much of the school experience. And today I stumbled over a post that sums up exactly  what I mean. For example: 

"...Looking back at my school experiences, it is difficult to see what purpose the cult of right answers, which extended far beyond the world of mathematics, served, other than as an odd kind of social sorting mechanism. The successful competitors (including me) sat on the edges of our seats, ready to perform our next trick and obtain a herring from our trainers, the less successful got hungrier in the back until many forgot what food was."

This is a quotation from a book by David Albert, whom I had never heard of, but whose homeschooling books I will definitely be searching for in the library iA!

No comments:

Post a Comment